Curriculum Long Term Overview Year's 1-2-3
Curriculum Long Term Overview Year's 4-5-6
How do we teach reading?
Children in Foundation are working towards the Early Learning Goals.
In Reading these are;
We take the following approach –
- Introduce the sounds of the letters of the alphabet and then the diagraphs, as laid out in Phonics International.
- Teach children the phoneme/ grapheme correspondence
- Teach the children to blend for reading and then segment for spelling
- Teach High Frequency words ( tricky words)
- Introduce the children to reading books that are phonically de-codable, when they are blending, that they read with their parents.
- Each child does guided reading using the Rigby Star reading scheme every week and follows this up with a related worksheet to reinforce the vocabulary or focus of the book.
- Read stories every day to build the children’s knowledge of story language which then helps them to predict and use context cues.
- In summary;
- The children are familiar with many stories
- They read in a group every week
- They learn synthetic phonics to start them reading
- Other skills are included to build the child’s tool kit of strategies.